Wednesday, August 31, 2011

9.1.11 - Response to Kolko and Sturken/Cartwright


Kolko:  Thoughts on Interaction Design

So the business organizational structure doesn’t work?  Tell me something I haven’t heard.  I don’t see interaction design as the saving solution.  You need to reconfigure the business’ structure to make headway on this issue.  That the silo effect works against usability comes as no surprise.  The silo effect works against success in information systems, marketing, and the list goes on.  Thus when you relegate a UX team to its own silo, of course it can’t create the user experience it finds most ideal.  It’s no wonder that companies like Apple and Starbucks don’t want to share how they’ve successfully implemented interaction design in their business models.  These corporations have structured their organizational models differently and in doing so have found themselves with a competitive advantage.  Or could we simply refer to how UX is at the forefront of their models as corporate culture?  Nike and Starbucks have a different approach to marketing.  I know that Starbucks’ beginnings trace back to creating user experience.  It was built into its marketing.  I have yet to be fully convinced that a UX team is even required.  If a corporation emphasizes UX in its culture across all divisions, why does it even need a UX team?  My impression from the reading was that companies who have successfully incorporated interaction design have done it across the business model and across teams.  If you invest all teams and train them to think from the perspective of interaction design, it will be company-wide.  In this way the silo effect can be avoided.  Easier said than done, of course.

I appreciate the notion of designing with the consumer in mind, but I still can’t help myself from questioning the motives behind incorporating user experience.  In the definitional stage of Kolko’s process, it’s the company that initiates interaction design.  It defines the parameters and assigns the task.  Only from that point does a user experience team begin advocating for the user.  And, user experience still contributes to a company’s bottom line.  If I have a positive and resonant experience with product x, I’m more likely to become brand loyal.    Translation:  more sales.  Thus as a consumer or user, I question the true motives behind crafting my authentic or poetic experience.    

Perhaps it’s because I’m biased by my background of working with a non-profit that designs for impact but it seemed to me that Kolko’s discussion of wicked problems trivialized the importance of interaction design in the corporate world.  To me, it turned his advocacy for incorporating interaction design into the corporate business model on its head.  When there’s a wicked problem to solve, why do I care if I’ve identified every single user engagement point in an ecosystem diagram of buying a cell phone app?  I kept comparing that to teaching students in poverty and grappling with the achievement gap.  If I’m going to extend all the energy in successfully implementing a process of interaction design, I want it to matter.  Maybe, I’m trying to be too idealistic.


Sturken and Cartwright:  “Images, Power, and Politics” and “Viewers Make Meaning”

As I read chapters 1 and 2 I tried to determine what connections could be made from Sturken and Cartwright to Kolko.  How do practices of looking relate to user experience?  Initially I was intrigued that both texts approached experiences through the individual.  Sturken and Cartwright make a point of focusing on the viewer of an image as opposed to the audience.  Kolko, in turn, almost seems to attack the traditional marketing approach since it looks at such broad demographic information and fails to consider the individual aspect of a user.  From this point my thinking turned to how Kolko addresses how experiences are created for the user.  There is a lot of behind the scenes work to create the overall user experience.  From defining the task to organizing information with a concept map, Kolko outlined the process.  He also gave examples of what reactions one should try to elicit from the experience.  From there, at least in terms of visuals, Sturken and Cartwright seem to take over.  Once Kolko has explained how to create an experience, Sturken and Cartwright begin to analyze different ways viewers will react.  Context plays a large role in how viewers respond to images.  Kolko touches on this briefly when he discusses experience as story but fails to consider how users may have an oppositional reading when decoding the experience.  That left me with the question:  what happens when interaction design backfires, which seems inevitable, and users have a negative experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment